In September of 1891, a worship service was held in New Era, the Pastor was Rev. O.R. Sletten. On December 29, 1891, the first service was held in Canby. The name "Zoar" was proposed on December 2, 1892. The first meeting of Zoar Evangelical Lutheran Church was in 1892. It started small and grew as two other Lutheran congregations merged into Zoar. Those congregations were Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of Barlow and Bethlehem Lutheran Church of Yoder.
The congregation incorporated under Oregon laws on February 17, 1895. The first chapel (26' square) was built on land donated for the church lot and cemetery on Walnut Street where Zoar cemetery is currently located.
In 1927 Zoar purchased its present site, with dedication services being held on October 28, 1928.
Original Building, 1928
In 1988 Zoar became part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Pastor Nick Doversberger was installed in October of 1998 and served as Pastor at Zoar until November 2015.
Original Building, 2007
Zoar has continued to grow and expand over the years, adding a new office and education building in 2005 and a Preschool in 2006. In 2012 construction added onto that new building with a new kitchen, Entry Hall, and Fellowship Hall - which serves temporarily as our worship area - until our final construction phase is completed. The last service was held in the original building February 2013. Our new worship space was dedicated May 2013, we are excited to use this space for worship and gathering as a community for many years to come!
New Building, 2013